getaddrinfo failed: Servname not supported for ai_socktype

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Aug 7 14:33:50 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 12:46 -0500, Matthew Kitchin (public/usenet) wrote:

> AND Never mind.....
> I can ping something on the 10.92.X.X segment. That works! I just can't
> ping anything on the the 10.85.0.X segment. That could very well be
> something on our end.

Almost certainly.

> I am up and running though! I will start putting it through some stress
> tests to see if I can get better results that the workaround we had to
> do with VPNC.

If you're going to do any serious testing, I would advise that you fix
this first:

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 23:25 -0500, Matthew Kitchin (public/usenet) wrote:
> SSL_set_session() failed with old protocol version 0x100
> Are you using a version of OpenSSL older than 0.9.8m?
> See http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=1751
> Use the --no-dtls command line option to avoid this message
> Set up DTLS failed; using SSL instead

As it is you're going to be using TCP instead of UDP, with all the
associated TCP-over-TCP problems if you have any kind of packet loss on
the underlying link between you and your VPN server.

You'd do better using a more modern distribution like Fedora for your
testing -- everything should Just Work™ out of the box.

Failing that, rebuild openconnect so it statically links against a more
recent version of OpenSSL. Or just be aware of the issue, and how it may
affect certain aspects of your testing.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation