Project Idea

Andrew E. Mileski andrewm at isoar.ca
Mon Jul 11 10:44:27 PDT 2016

Looked at my e-mail on my mobile phone and saw Jan Rinze's name, not noticing it
was a NetWinder post, as I subscribe to several lists.  Thought, "oh wow, I wow,
I remember that one!"

I've gone over to the dark side:  I have a Raspberry PI 3 Model B running Fedora
24, that is all and more of what the NetWinder wanted to be.  Guess the
NetWinder was a couple of decades ahead in concept, but behind in technology.

I really like the RPI 3B, but it requires turning a blind-eye to the large
amount of proprietary binary blobs it takes to get the the thing running.  The
RPI3 performance is really impressive once the frequency governor is changed to
"performance" to boot in cmdline.txt, and then once booted changed to "ondemand"
with a 60% threshold via tmpfiles.d (or whatever poison you prefer).

I divested myself of all NetWinders about two years ago when I last moved,
dumping them on Ralph (I think?), and he probably just dropped them at the
recyclers when he recently moved.

~~
Andrew E. Mileski