Buggy sound

Jamie Guinan guinan at bluebutton.com
Sun Apr 2 14:07:48 EDT 2006

Hi!

Glad to see netwinder.org up and alive again, I hadn't bothered
to look in ages.

My trusty NW is still doing firewall duty (since 1999).

But one problem I'm having is with the sound driver.  Maybe 50% of the
time it plays white noise instead of clean audio.  Here's my test,

  # while true; do bplay donk.wav ; sleep 0.5; done

And here's a recording from about 1ft away, and a copy of donk.wav,

  http://www.bluebutton.com/misc/buggysound.ogg
  http://www.bluebutton.com/misc/donk.wav

I have a little program where I'd like to play donk.wav whenever a
packet is dropped by the firewall, but the white noise is like
fingernails on a chalkboard.  :)

I'm running gentoo, with a vanilla 2.6.16 kernel, cross-compiled with
gcc 3.4.5.  My board info from /proc/cpuinfo,

Hardware        : Rebel-NetWinder
Revision        : 51ff
Serial          : 0000000000000757

Has anyone experienced sound problems like this?

Thanks,
-Jamie