Filesystems for new hard disk drive

François Jacques jacf01 at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 21 14:46:15 EST 2005

--- Andrew E Mileski <andrewm at isoar.ca> wrote:

> François Jacques wrote:
> > You previously wrote that XFS is more trouble than its worth... What's
> > problematic with it? I've read about some pretty bad partition corruption
> > issues that were reported; is it what you were thinking of?
>
> The problem is meta-data only journaling.
>
> After a crash or power intrruption, ReiserFS can suffer from old data
> blocks mixed with current ones.

It appears that Reiser4 (with Linux 2.6.4+) can behave just like ext3fs when
told to (data=ordered) Check Reiser4 mount options @
http://www.namesys.com/mount-options.html

> XFS will have zero filled blocks (1.0
> is really bad, and 1.1 is supposed to be "better", but it isn't cured).

Thanks for the insight. It could be better now with 1.3 (Linux 2.4.27, which
I'm using) but its very hard to tell...

This is an interesting read on the subject:
http://oss.sgi.com/archives/linux-xfs/2005-02/threads.html#00104

> At the office we are moving away from XFS since it is just causing too
> many headaches.  We are shipping products with ext3.

You can consider Reiser4 for your next generation platform config now :)

Cheers
François