fedora for ARM

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Tue Feb 15 11:38:31 EST 2005

Hi all,

A while ago I started porting Fedora Core 2 to the ARM.  The result
of that have been available for a while at:

	http://skrybele.wantstofly.org/

I recently got access to some ARM hardware again, and I'll most likely
attempt to port Fedora Core 3 and/or the current devel tree.

The netwinder project seems pretty dead to me, but maybe there are some
souls on this list interested in helping out in some way?  Some things
that need attention are:
- The FC3 port got stuck pretty early on due to (a general lack of time
  and) FC3's glibc exhibiting strange alignment issues on ARM.  Perhaps
  has something to do with ARM bug ID 2473/1.  Need to check this out.
- A lot of Fedora packages compile their binaries (not libraries) with
  -fPIC, and this currently doesn't work on ARM.  The 'solution' for
  FC2 was to patch all those packages to omit -fPIC.
- Perhaps __thread support.  Nicolas Pitre's ARM TLS patch went in
  recently, need to look into what gcc/glibc support is needed for this.

And perhaps some attention can be spent on the insane dependency loops
new ports need to handle.  (Anyone has any idea how many non-X packages
depend on the X libraries, either directly or indirectly?)

cheers,
Lennert