Netwinder Office Server 2100

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Wed Apr 6 11:34:01 EDT 2005

Could you please refrain from posting HTML format... thanks ;)

Georgescu Gabriel wrote:

> Hello I've bought an Netwinder Office Server 2100 and i want to know, if
> you are so kind, if there is any possibility to install a package on the
> server in order to see the all traffic made on it into a specific period
> or to limit the bandwidth , etc . I will be glad if you will give me a
> link to all useful available software for this great server.

If you are concerned with web or ftp traffic, you will find these are
logged already, and there are many tools for making nice "reports" of
these logfiles.

If you want to see absolutely all traffic, then consider the tcpdump
tool.  It will show you every packet... which gets to be overwhelming
for most of us.  You can combine tcpdump on the netwinder, record this
to a file for a while, then transfer that file to a PC and use ethereal
to analyse the traffic log file.

Traffic shaping is a bit difficult on the (old) software on
Officeserver, which is probably running a 2.2 linux kernel.  Again, if
you only care about HTTP or ftp, these can be limited (throttled) fairly
easily... but if you want to control all packets its more difficult.

-Ralph