How many colours does the ARC cache have?

Matthew Wilcox willy at infradead.org
Sat Feb 18 11:03:51 PST 2023

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 08:59:18PM -0800, Vineet Gupta wrote:
> On 2/10/23 09:06, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > I see a discrepancy here ...
> >
> > arch/arc/include/asm/shmparam.h:
> > /* Handle upto 2 cache bins */
> > #define SHMLBA  (2 * PAGE_SIZE)
> >
> > arch/arc/include/asm/cacheflush.h:
> > #define CACHE_COLORS_NUM        4
>
> The initial aliasing dcache support assumed 2 colors but was later bumped to
> 4, w/o making the adjustment in shmparam.h

OK.  Will you fix it yourself, or do you want me to send a patch?

> > (there are some other problems with the arc cache flushing code;
>
> The VIPT aliasing config (which is pretty much dead and unused) or regular
> parts ?

I'm not sure.  This is incorrect in flush_dcache_page():

        } else if (page_mapcount(page)) {
[...]
                unsigned long vaddr = page->index << PAGE_SHIFT;

If the page being flushed is a tail page, then page->index is not
valid, so you're essentially flushing a random address.  I have a
fix for it that I sent out earlier this week.