Handling stub code for new platforms

Alexandru Gagniuc alex.g at adaptrum.com
Thu Aug 10 12:28:14 PDT 2017

Hi,

Looking under arch/arc, I see the current way is to add a plat-[socname]
for each new SoC. However, it seems that plat-sim, and plat-tb10x are
just place-holders for the compatible bindings.

I was going to do the same for plat-anarion, which required an early
boot workaround. However, with Alexey's INTC patch, this workaround is
no longer required, so plat-anarion would become just another stub.

I don't like the idea of adding dead code whenever a new platform
arrives. My thought is to merge these into a plat-generic, and add the
following two compatible bindings:
* "snps,arccompact-generic"
* "snps,arcv2-generic"
Keep the existing bindings for compatibility reasons, but require all
new platforms that don't need boot stubs to use one of the generic
.compatible bindings. Do you agree with the plan?

Alex