vc4.ko brings unusable&unstable ALSA sinks

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Mon Mar 29 22:39:46 BST 2021

On zaterdag 27 maart 2021 01:46:38 CEST Ryutaroh Matsumoto wrote:
> > How did you configure your system to use that?
> Is https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2021/03/msg00082.html
> enough as an answer to your question?

It provides some clues, but so far not a complete answer.
To me it looks mostly irrelevant for my case, although bug #985928 does look
(somewhat) interesting.
What this brings up, and I forgot to include in my other mail, is that I don't
know if audio is supposed to work with the snd_bcm2835 module (and resulting
sound card(s)) or with the vc4-hdmi card. Or can they used both, if .....

> > Does that also support multi-channel audio?
> "pactl list sinks" says "stereo". But, as my display does not equip two
> speakers, paplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav and Front_Right.wav
> gives no difference... I don't have a clear answer.

I wasn't aware of 'paplay' so thanks for bringing that to my attention :)
Previously I used those .wav files too, but then with 'aplay', but after
installing pulseaudio (assuming that was now required), I didn't know whether
the problem was with aplay, pulseaudio or some interdependence between those.

With (just) 'paplay' that extra variable could be eliminated.
Result: no sound at all and no indication of an error. So appears to be
consistent with what I experienced with mpd.