garbled screen with RPI4 on 5.10-rc2

Maxime Ripard maxime at cerno.tech
Thu Dec 3 10:34:14 EST 2020

Hi Lucas,

On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 09:16:57PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/11/20 at 16:19 +0100, Maxime Ripard wrote:

> > > Strange, since disable_fw_kms_setup=1 really fixes it (I checked again).
> > >
> > > If you think it's worth debugging and I can help somehow, let me know!
> >
> > Do you have any other display you could test with?
>
> I tried with two TVs.
> On an old one, I did not reproduce the problem.
> On a more recent one, I could reproduce a slightly different issue:
> during boot, the same garbled output appeared and then disappeared.
> then, there was some corruption on the login screen. I uploaded a
> video[0] and a photo of the login screen[1]. dmesg is at [2].
>
> [0] https://people.debian.org/~lucas/tmp/rpi4-tv.mp4
> [1] https://people.debian.org/~lucas/tmp/rpi4-login-screen.jpg
> [2] https://people.debian.org/~lucas/tmp/dmesg-tv.txt
>
> Again, adding disable_fw_kms_setup=1 made the issue disappear.
>
> > I tried running the daily image you pointed at, but it looks like it's
> > running a 5.9 kernel from simplefb, and with nothing to update in apt,
> > how did you upgrade to that 5.10 kernel?
>
> I built a kernel using the 5.10.0-rc2 tarball.
> I put /boot and /lib/modules at
> https://people.debian.org/~lucas/tmp/linux-5.10.0-rc2.tgz so you can
> untar this on your machine and (hopefully) reproduce the problem.

Sorry this took a bit of time

I downloaded that kernel, dropped it on my SD card and updated
config.txt to point at the new kernel and initramfs image. However,
unlike the 5.9 kernel, it doesn't seem to boot at all: there's nothing
on the UART or the HDMI output.

Did you update the archive since your mail, or does it ring any bell?

Maxime