Extreme moderation delays

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue Nov 21 11:40:08 PST 2017

Vincent Sanders <vince at kyllikki.org> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 08:06:53PM +0000, Phil Elwell wrote:
>> I (presumably like many others) have just received an email nearly 10 days after it was
>> originally submitted to this list, long after most of the discussion has occurred
>> between people directly included in the original CC list.
>>
>> Who is moderating this list, and why do we need moderation when other lists seem
>
> That would be me.
>
> I moderate several smaller ARM related lists including this one and
> have done for many years. The moderation traps catch about 1 in 1,000
> valid messages to these low volume lists and about 100 spam and
> phishing mails in the same time.
>
>> to manage without it? Since the trigger for moderation seems to be including
>
> Alas many lists have a much larger subscription base and are
> administered by people with much more paid for time. I do it in my
> spare time and when I attend conferences I tend to get behind on
> moderation duties (I have been in Prague recently for example)
>
>> more than a certain number of email addresses, shouldn't the threshold be
>> increased since it is so frequently legitimately crossed?
>
> It is already at a large value and is a compromise between increasing
> the spam and phishing mails reaching the subscribers and the odd mail
> being delayed (unfortunately threads copied to many maintainers tend
> to all get caught)
>
> If there is a consensus a moderated list is not beneficial I will
> gladly stop providing the service and someone else can make
> alternative arrangements for a new list.

Moderation is fine!  We just need some little tweaks to make the list
work well for us:

- Moderation threshold increased so that normal usage of the list
  doesn't trigger moderation.  Right now even a minimal RPi patch
  triggers moderation.  Moderation at 20 Tos/Ccs would probably be about
  right (Yes, 20 Ccs is an absurd number, but we don't get to control
  how much we have to Cc).

- Access to the moderation interface by the platform maintainers so that
  we can approve messages when we need to.