broken edid

Michael Zoran mzoran at crowfest.net
Tue Mar 21 07:33:33 PDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-03-21 at 06:47 -0700, Michael Zoran wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-03-21 at 14:34 +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >   Hi,
> >
> > Apparently something corrupted the hdmi edid of the monitor I've
> > hooked
> > up to the rpi3.  So the firmware comes up in some low res instead
> > of
> > 1920x1080, and vc4 complains and refuses to display anything.
> >
> > Tried to fix the edid.  Reading (via /dev/i2c-2) works.  Writing
> > fails
> > with an io error though, there is even a message in the kernel log
> > (i2c-bcm2835 3f805000.i2c: i2c transfer failed: 100).  I'm using
> > https://github.com/bulletmark/edid-rw.  4.9.16 kernel.  Ideas
> > anyone?
> >
> > Failing that, is there some way to force vc4 into driving hdmi at
> > 1920x1080?
> >
> > cheers,
> >   Gerd

> Hi,
>
> Any particular reason VC4 couldn't have a few module paremeters added
> as a short term/get things going fix.  That would at least allow
> people
> to hard code the video setting in the command line.

BTW, do you actually want 3D or do you just want enough video to make
things work for debugging/simple usage?

Because I think the PI foundation is making the simple frame buffer
support that everyone has been using supported(or at least I think).

What I did for testing was use the old style monitor settings from
Raspbian to hard code the settings.  That would get you going.

BTW, my understand is that the new support doesn't break VC4(It didn't
work offically on the RPI 3 to begin with).