Issue with upstream BCM2835 thermal and hwmon.

Michael Tatarinov kukabu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 04:59:42 PDT 2017

> Hi Michael,
>
> Am 07.07.2017 um 13:02 schrieb Michael Tatarinov:
>> Hello
>>
>> I uses custom kernel based on downstream code (branch rpi-4.12.y now).
>> My kernel builds with
>> CONFIG_HWMON=y
>> CONFIG_THERMAL=y
>> CONFIG_THERMAL_HWMON=y
>> The downstream thermal driver is registered in hwmon subsystem as
>> virtual device but the upstream isn't.
>> I'm not sure that the problem is in the upstream driver, maybe this is
>> my issue.
>> Does anybody can check it with upstream kernel?
>
> i didn't know about the relation between hwmon and thermal.

The thermal subsystem have helper for hwmon.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/tree/drivers/thermal/Kconfig#n35

> Could you please do me a favor and do the following steps:
> 1. Check with your upstream kernel that the thermal_zone is successfully
> registered under /sys/class/thermal.

Yes, /sys/class/thermal is exists and I see the current data.

> 2. Please show me the (missing) hwmon sysfs entries on your downstream
> kernel, because i won't trust some userspace program like sensors.

mike at rpi ~ $ head /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/{name,temp1_input}
==> /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/name <==
bcm2835_thermal

==> /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input <==
59451
mike at rpi ~ $