RPI HDMI audio for linux upstream tree.

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue Oct 18 10:59:53 PDT 2016

Michael Zoran <mzoran at crowfest.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm aware of the effort to upstream the vchiq driver from the
> downstream RPI linux tree.  In fact, I'm working on a patch set to
> allow the vchiq driver to be compiled for arm64.  I should be able to
> submit this shortly.
>
> The question I was wondering is if any effort is being made to get HDMI
> audio for the RPI upstreamed?  IMHO, I'm not sure if vchiq has a whole
> lot of value without the audio driver being added as well.   I'm fact,
> to test my patches I've been copying the driver back to the downstream
> tree just so I have a test mechanism.
>
> I would also like to add that I just so happen to have a arm64 port of
> the HDMI audio driver that seems to work quite well.   I'm able to play
> movies through VLC and watch videos from Youtube on my RPI3 running in
> arm64 mode.

We should really be driving HDMI audio entirely from the ARM.  I haven't
scoped out the native stuff yet, but I expect it will be 80%
bikeshedding DT bindings.  I'd consider firmware-based HDMI audio to be
a temporary solution until we get ARM-side HDMI audio to work.

That said, something temporary may be worth doing until we can get the
open source stuff done.  Want to look into putting it into staging?

My motivation for VCHIQ was to get media driver (camera, video decode,
video encode) support.  I don't think we can get media fully opened, so
VCHI is our only route to supporting it currently.