RPI HDMI audio for linux upstream tree.

Michael Zoran mzoran at crowfest.net
Mon Oct 17 17:35:57 PDT 2016

Hi,

I'm aware of the effort to upstream the vchiq driver from the
downstream RPI linux tree.  In fact, I'm working on a patch set to
allow the vchiq driver to be compiled for arm64.  I should be able to
submit this shortly.

The question I was wondering is if any effort is being made to get HDMI
audio for the RPI upstreamed?  IMHO, I'm not sure if vchiq has a whole
lot of value without the audio driver being added as well.   I'm fact,
to test my patches I've been copying the driver back to the downstream
tree just so I have a test mechanism.

I would also like to add that I just so happen to have a arm64 port of
the HDMI audio driver that seems to work quite well.   I'm able to play
movies through VLC and watch videos from Youtube on my RPI3 running in
arm64 mode.

Thanks.