RPi-3 brcmfmac errors on boot

Don Zickus dzickus at redhat.com
Mon Nov 28 08:18:51 PST 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 02:54:12AM -0800, Michael Zoran wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-11-28 at 10:51 +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> > > As you know, these files are probably copyrighted so I don't know
> > > if
> > > this is for personal/testing use or if you are going to put it in a
> > > distribution.  If you are going to put it in a distribution as you
> > > know
> > > you may need to get permission from somebody...
> >
> > The legal side is sorted meanwhile, the firmware files are part of
> > the
> > linux-firmware distribution since a few months so all you need is a
> > recent enough linux-firmware package.
>
> Awsome!
>
> Legal issues aside, were you able to get the wifi/bluetooth to work?
>
> The Bluetooth does have a small downstream patch for bluez, but I think
> if you get the correct pull ups on the pins the bluetooth should just
> work.

Hi Michael, Gerd,

So I did _not_ add the suggested but instead downloaded the firmware txt
file and rebuilt my dracut image file and viola, wlan0 popped up on reboot.

wget https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/raw/master/brcm80211/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt

and added this to /etc/dracut.conf

install_items+="/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt"

rebuild with

dracut -f /boot/initramfs-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

(or whatever kernel version you want)

reboot and ip addr shows wlan0

I didn't do anything beyond that for now. Having the interface is the
important piece.  The rest is debugging the driver. :-)

Not sure why we need that txt file or if we are allowed to use it in
Fedora...

But bluetooth..

I have a custom built hciattach binary to use to download the special
bluetooth firmware /lib/firmware/BCM43430A1.hcd

hciattach /dev/ttyAMA0 bcm43xx-3wire 921600 noflow -

However that still times out trying to start the initial download (based on
hciattach debug printfs I have).

I am guessing my bluetooth pins are not setup correctly?  Where can I find
the correct pull ups I need?

Cheers,
Don