Possibly split VCHIQ into multiple drivers?

Michael Zoran mzoran at crowfest.net
Sat Nov 12 12:10:25 PST 2016

I was just thinking about the security implications of VCHIQ by
exposing that much to userland by default.

I'm thinking that perhaps VCHIQ should be split into at least two
different drivers.

1. An internal driver that only serves kernel mode drivers.  For some
reason, I'm less concerned about the security implications of in
kernel(especially statical linked) driver clients.

2. A driver written on top of 1 that exposes the user mode API.   The
idea is that this driver would be optional and would be disabled or
left out of the kernel build config in a hardened/locked down
environment.  This would make VCHIQ work in a way that's similar to the
mbox user mode interface driver.

Any thoughts/ideas?