Bug in split transactions on Raspberry Pi

Noralf Trønnes noralf at tronnes.org
Tue Jan 26 03:31:36 PST 2016

Den 25.01.2016 23:07, skrev Stefan Wahren:
>> Doug Anderson <dianders at chromium.org> hat am 25. Januar 2016 um 21:44
>> geschrieben:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Alan Stern <stern at rowland.harvard.edu>
>> wrote:

>>> I followed those instructions, and the result doesn't boot. No easy
>>> way to figure out why -- nothing shows up on the HDMI screen but the
>>> color splash.
>> Interestingly enough Stefan Wahren reached out to me after my recent
>> patch series indicating that my series didn't fix some other problem
>> he was having on his Raspberry Pi. Presumably that means he might
>> have some pointers?
>>
>> Stefan: do you have any pointer to instructions that Alan can use to
>> get a booting Raspberry Pi kernel based on mainline Linux?
> It sounds like that bootloader doesn't came up.
>
> You will need to add / replace the following files in the FAT partition of an
> raspbian:
> kernel.img (U-Boot)
> boot.scr.uimg
> bcm2835-rpi*.dtb (from kernel)
> zImage
>
>> ...another interesting idea would be to try to see if you could just
>> change the configuration of the Raspberry Pi kernel to switch which
>> dwc2 driver it used. Presumably their driver was an addition on top
>> of the driver in "drivers/usb/dwc2". In fact, doing a 'git log' on
>> drivers/usb/dwc2 in the "rpi-4.4.y" kernel on github it looks pure
>> (and Stefan is even the last commit author!)
>>
>> -Doug
> dwc2 is broken in Linux 4.4 and newer

We are using dwc2 downstream[1] on 4.4 to get gadget support on
Pi Zero. I didn't add any extra patches to get that working.
The only difference I can think of is that we boot directly from the
firmware bootloader and turn on USB power in the firmware driver.

I have seen strange dwc2 probing errors when USB power is off.

Noralf.

[1] https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/tree/rpi-4.4.y