Is something using DMA channel 0?

Richard Hirst richardghirst at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 15:51:57 EST 2013

(once again as plain text)

The only documentation I have is
http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BCM2835-ARM-Peripherals.pdf,
specifically the diagram on page 5.  I don't claim to fully understand
it.  Maps on to peripherals do not have a problem, but if you want to
set up DMA control and data blocks in memory, and have your user space
program and the DMA controller see the same data, you need to ensure
that the cache doesn't cause a problem.  I believe that if you
allocate some memory, look up the physical page addresses, and mmap
/dev/mem to access them, you end up with accesses to the lowest
mapping of the SDRAM.  That mapping is L1&L2 cached from the
processors perspective, but the DMA controller will only see what you
write once it happens to get flushed from the cache in to memory, and
that can take a while depending on what is happening in the system
(and it might not happen in the order you expect, depending on which
cache lines get reused first).  Similarly if the DMA controller writes
something it goes in to memory but the CPU might read stale data from
the cache and not see what the DMA controller wrote.  That's what I
meant by "L1 & L2 non-coherent cached pages".  To get round that you
need to access memory via one of the other mappings such that both CPU
and DMA controller always see the same data.  I messed around with
using different SDRAM mappings quite a bit before deciding which
worked as I wanted it to.  It's all based on a bit of guesswork
though, as the documentation is poor.