Lack of interest in providing upstream drivers (Was: [RFC] mailbox: Add Broadcom BCM2835 mailbox driver)

Simon Arlott simon at fire.lp0.eu
Sun May 12 15:13:06 EDT 2013

On 11/05/13 05:41, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 04/19/2013 12:51 PM, Simon Arlott wrote:
> The problem here (with Simon's existing patch) is that it was never sent
> upstream. Hence, most likely very few people know about it. If you start

Endless delays on device tree support made me give up. I couldn't
upstream anything without co-operation from the bootloader. To try to do
so regardless of proper bootloader support would have been disruptive
and inappropriate.

The right people knew about my patches but ignored them.

> pro-actively sending your work upstream, that'd be great.

Call me when there's actually a usable camera. I foolishly bought this
hardware based on a speculation someone had made on the wiki article
that implied support for practically any camera hardware compatible with
the physical interface.

http://elinux.org/index.php?title=RPi_Low-level_peripherals&action=historysubmit&diff=145358&oldid=145334

I doubt there will ever be a usable camera, because:

a) The camera manufacturers are only interested in providing secret
   proprietary interfaces. Even if they're not, access to the CSI is
   undocumented.
b) All Broadcom supported cameras will be handled by the VideoCore but
   they are unlikely to be exposed as a V4L2 driver.

--
Simon Arlott