[Q] USB is very slow. Is this a known bug?

Alex Bradbury asb at asbradbury.org
Fri Nov 2 12:08:46 EDT 2012

On 2 November 2012 15:00, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>> The USB driver code is horrible, really really horrible.  Seriously,
>> it's so bad that no one will touch it, myself included.
>>

> I've started looking into that usb code. I agree it's not the
> handsomest driver around...
>
> Could point me a usb host driver **similar** enough to start a
> massive refactoring effort?
>
> Instead of "fixing" the current driver, I'd rather start another one
> from scratch.
>
> It could be a nice learning experience, and who knows!
> maybe in a few months I can come up with something sane.

Do check out the FreeBSD dwc_otg driver and the Plan 9 one:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/dev/usb/controller/dwc_otg.c?view=log
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/dev/usb/controller/
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/broadcom/bcm2835/dwc_otg_brcm.c

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/miller/9/rpi/usbdwc.c

My understanding is that both work with USB mass storage and Ethernet,
but mice/keyboards are still problematic with both codebases.

Alex