changes to scheduler from mainline 4.8 to 4.10?

Bert Schiettecatte bert at bertschiettecatte.com
Wed Mar 29 08:27:58 PDT 2017

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

> Are you using the RT patchset [1] and CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL?  I'm able
> to run at 44100Hz with 128 sample buffers on RK3288 with appropriate
> thread priorities (although that is on a 4.4 series kernel, I haven't
> tested audio performance on more recent versions).

I can't find that setting in my kernel config. I saw those patch sets,
but did not apply them yet since I am not sure how relevant they still
are for a 4.10 kernel? Has anyone applied these patches to more recent
kernels than 4.4 and is it possible to do so?

When I grep for PREEMPT, I get this

CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_COUNT=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_TRACER is not set

> You may also want the pinctrl patchset I posted recently [2] to avoid
> locking issues when using full RT preemption.
>
> [1] https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
> [2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/3/23/208

Thanks, I'll check out your patch.

Bert