[RISC-V] [tech-unixplatformspec] Public review of Supervisor Binary Interface (SBI) Specification

Heinrich Schuchardt heinrich.schuchardt at canonical.com
Thu Jan 27 00:57:37 PST 2022

On 1/27/22 09:33, atishp at rivosinc.com wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 2:46 PM Andrew Waterman <andrew at sifive.com
> <mailto:andrew at sifive.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 12:50 PM Jonathan Behrens <behrensj at mit.edu
>     <mailto:behrensj at mit.edu>> wrote:
>
>         If that is the intention, the text should be changed to "Returns
>         0 if the given SBI extension ID (EID) is not available, or an
>         *implementation defined* non-zero value if it is available".
>         Although, if the extensions aren't defining any meaning to the
>         various possible non-zero values, I personally don't see why we
>         shouldn't change it to "returns one if it is available".
>

>     I think allowing implementation-defined nonzero rather than
>     requiring it be 1 is OK, but I agree with your proposed wording change.
>

> Sounds good to me as well. I will make the change.

Why should the value be implementation specific and not extension specific?

I would prefer if the specification would provide extension specific
unique return values instead of introducing ambiguity about possible
return values.

This also allows us to define further return values per extension if
needed in future. But currently all of these values can be defined as 1.

We just have to add this value 1 to each extension description.

Best regards

Heinrich