[RFC PULL] remove arch/h8300

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 7 00:47:04 PDT 2022

On 4/7/22 09:17, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 11:25 PM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in H8300 because it's a tiny architecture (under 6k lines total,
>> in 93 files) and thus a good way to see what a minimal Linux port looks like. If
>> somebody would like to suggest a different one for that...
>
> Anything that is maintained is usually a better example, and it helps when the
> code is not old enough to have accumulated a lot of historic baggage.

But if it's not a lot of code, would it really accumulate a lot of cruft?

If the code just works as is and doesn't need much attention to keep it working
why not keep it? As long as the code doesn't break anything else what's the
problem with keeping it?

FWIW, the H8 backend in GCC was just recently modernized and improved and converted
to MODE_CC.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz