[RFC PULL] remove arch/h8300

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Apr 5 15:01:05 PDT 2022

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 11:26 PM Guenter Roeck <linux at roeck-us.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 03:07:06PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> >
> > Should we garbage-collect some of the other nommu platforms where
> > we're here? Some of them are just as stale:
> >
> > 1. xtensa nommu has does not compile in mainline and as far as I can
> > tell never did
> >    (there was https://github.com/jcmvbkbc/linux-xtensa/tree/xtensa-5.6-esp32,
> > which
> >    worked at some point, but I don't think there was enough interest
> > to get in merged)
>
> Hmm, I build and test nommu_kc705_defconfig in my test system.

What toolchain do you use for this? Max already pointed out my mistake
regarding xtensa, which I thought does not build at all, but just needs
a toolchain specific to the cpu.

> > 2. arch/sh Hitachi/Renesas sh2 (non-j2) support appears to be in a similar state
> >     to h8300, I don't think anyone would miss it
> >
> > 8<----- This may we where we want to draw the line ----
> >
> > 3. arch/sh j2 support was added in 2016 and doesn't see a lot of
> > changes, but I think
> >     Rich still cares about it and wants to add J32 support (with MMU)
> > in the future
> >
> > 4. m68k Dragonball, Coldfire v2 and Coldfire v3 are just as obsolete as SH2 as
> >    hardware is concerned, but Greg Ungerer keeps maintaining it, along with the
> >    newer Coldfire v4 (with MMU)
> >
> > 5. K210 was added in 2020. I assume you still want to keep it.
> >
> > 7. Arm32 has several Cortex-M based platforms that are mainly kept for
> >     legacy users (in particular stm32) or educational value.
> >
> I do build and test mps2_defconfig with qemu's mps2-an385 emulation.
>
> I am not saying that those are actively used, and I don't mind dropping
> them, but they do still work.

To clarify, the list was sorted based on what I expected to be the least to
most actively maintained ones, with the stm32 clearly being in use,
and above it in the the list somewhat less.

         Arnd