arch/riscv/staging

Damien Le Moal Damien.LeMoal at wdc.com
Fri May 28 01:58:07 PDT 2021

On 2021/05/28 17:53, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 10:29:16AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> On 28/05/21 03:06, Paul Walmsley wrote:
>>> OK, well, maybe you and Damien can get together and spell out what you all
>>> are concerned about regarding forks.  Then we can see if there's anything
>>> that should be done to address it.
>>>
>>> Right now the only fork risk that I can see is related to the architecture
>>> itself.
>>
>> The risk is that improvements to KVM RISC-V are developed in forks rather
>> than in a single git tree.
>
> Eventually they need to come back into the mainline tree, so that should
> not be that big of an issue.
>
> If it is, again, get the spec finished, what is preventing that from
> happening this week?

We (kernel & riscv software developers) do not get to decide alone. RISC-V
International specification group decides. And our input does not seem to have
much effect on the completion timing. See this thread:

https://lists.riscv.org/g/tech-privileged/topic/80346318#465

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research