perf tools build broken for RISCV 32 bit

Emiliano Ingrassia ingrassia at epigenesys.com
Mon Jan 18 10:33:31 EST 2021

Hi Arnd,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 04:19:47PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 3:53 PM Emiliano Ingrassia
> <ingrassia at epigenesys.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > after some searching I found this patch from Yocto project:
> >
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org/msg01004.html.
> >
> > I don't know if it's ever been proposed as mainline patch.
> >
> > What do you think about it? Could it be the right solution?
>
> No. While this makes it work on rv32, it does not fix it in a
> way that makes it work on other architectures with a time64
> libc. If you fix it, please do it in a way that works on all architectures.

Ok, I totally agree with you on this point.

So, it is right to conclude that the problem is not in perf
implementation but in the libc implementation?
That is, for example, glibc should define SYS_futex as SYS_futex_time64
in case of riscv 32 bit because of its support to 64 bit time_t?

> I had really expected both Alistair and Khem to know better.
>
>       Arnd

Thank you, best regards.

Emiliano