Question regarding "boot-hartid" DT node

Sunil V L sunilvl at ventanamicro.com
Sun Dec 5 08:37:54 PST 2021

On Sun, Dec 05, 2021 at 03:54:23PM +0000, Jessica Clarke wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2021, at 13:39, Sunil V L <sunilvl at ventanamicro.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks. Yes. We can solve the current problem for EFI stub in Linux.

> >> Yes. EFI Stub tries to find a fdt from the command line (not a
> >> preferred method) or EFI configuration table[1]
> >> (currently used for RISC-V systems). If it can't find a device tree,
> >> it generates one [2]
> >>
> >> [1] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.16-rc3/source/drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/efi-stub.c#L231
> >> [2] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.16-rc3/source/drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/fdt.c#L58
> >>
> >> However, we may still need to define the RISC-V EFI protocol to
> >> support ACPI for other OS (FreeBSD) which doesn't have
> >> a stub like loader that uses DT.
> >>
> > If RISC-V mandates that every OS (including FreeBSD)  should follow the
> > booting protocol that a0 should be used to pass the boot hartid, then
> > only Linux EFI stub becomes a special case which can reuse the existing
> > DT based EFI protocol (mentioned by Heinrich), right?
>
> Absolutely not. What you are saying is “let’s forbid anyone from using
> UEFI”. This “booting protocol” thing is a RISC-V-specific low-level
> interface that is incompatible with UEFI; in it, every architecture,
> including RISC-V, passes exactly two arguments to the application, the
> handle to the image and a pointer to the system table, and puts the
> return address in the usual place. Linux’s EFI stub is not special;
> *any* EFI application, be it your EFI stub, FreeBSD’s bootloader,
> grub-efi, systemd-boot, OpenBSD’s bootloader, Haiku’s bootloader,
> whatever, follows the UEFI spec and so does not, and never will, follow
> the RISC-V booting protocol.

Yes, understood. Thanks!.

> I wish everyone would stop talking about this “RISC-V booting
> protocol”. It’s low-level firmware details that, due to not having a
> mature firmware story at the time OSes were brought up, leaked up into
> the OS booting process. In FreeBSD the only time it gets used is if the
> kernel is booted directly from BBL/OpenSBI; if instead you boot the
> bootloader via UEFI then that code is completely bypassed (and we make
> the legacy direct boot method look like the bootloader method by
> creating a “fake” bootloader metadata array, rather than the other way
> round, which would be backwards and severely limiting). It’s not a good
> protocol, OSes shouldn’t be using it, and it should fade into obscurity
> outside of the M-mode firmware<->S-mode firmware interface. It’s just
> not relevant to an OS. What is relevant is that there is critical
> information in the firmware that the OS can’t get at if booting via the
> industry-standard portable rich firmware interface, and that
> information needs to be provided some way or another via a means
> compatible with the specification. I like the SBI “get current hartid”
> extension approach best, it’s the most flexible and there’s no harm in
> having it exist in a crummy non-UEFI situation. It’s trivial to
> implement, it’s trivial to use, it provides the interface that *should*
> have existed in the ISA just like how mpidr_el1 is a thing on AArch64,
> and it provides a way for even non-UEFI code to not have to care about
> a0 being hartid (outside of perhaps the hart lottery in the entry point
> if you need to support pre-HSM SBIs), it can just throw it away and ask
> for it later when it needs it, just like if booting via UEFI. You could
> also make it a UEFI protocol, but that’s more annoying to deal with,
> you now have two different ways to get the same information depending
> on how you were booted. You could also restrict it to only being “get
> the boot hartid”, but why, what does that achieve? It doesn’t really
> make it any simpler to implement, it’s just more restrictive for the
> sake of being minimal, even if it is sufficient. But at the end of the
> day all of them do work. So, please, can we stop wasting our lives on
> this and just do *something* rather than going round and round in
> circles and forgetting all the details in the process?
>
> As for the “provide a dummy FDT to the proposed fixup protocol”
> proposal, no, that’s clearly not going to fly with an ACPI-only OS that
> doesn’t have, and never will include, a device tree parser. If your
> ACPI system needs a device tree then it’s not ACPI-only any more.

Completely agree.

I can draft the EFI protocol but I also feel "SBI interface to get
current hartid" is better. Considering that the software ecosystem is
expanding for risc-v, this will cater to any future needs. I am
concerned that this EFI protocol will be of no use if SBI implements
"get current hart id" in future.

Thanks
Sunil