Question regarding "boot-hartid" DT node

Jessica Clarke jrtc27 at jrtc27.com
Sun Dec 5 07:54:23 PST 2021

On 5 Dec 2021, at 13:39, Sunil V L <sunilvl at ventanamicro.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 04, 2021 at 10:34:28AM -0800, Atish Patra wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 8:24 PM Anup Patel <anup at brainfault.org> wrote:

>> Thanks. Yes. We can solve the current problem for EFI stub in Linux.
>>

>>> Are you suggesting that DTB (skeletal or full-blown) will always be there when
>>> booting the kernel as an EFI application ? If yes then we are
>>> indirectly mandating
>>> skeletal DTB for UEFI+ACPI system.
>>
>> Yes. EFI Stub tries to find a fdt from the command line (not a
>> preferred method) or EFI configuration table[1]
>> (currently used for RISC-V systems). If it can't find a device tree,
>> it generates one [2]
>>
>> [1] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.16-rc3/source/drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/efi-stub.c#L231
>> [2] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.16-rc3/source/drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/fdt.c#L58
>>
>> However, we may still need to define the RISC-V EFI protocol to
>> support ACPI for other OS (FreeBSD) which doesn't have
>> a stub like loader that uses DT.
>>
> If RISC-V mandates that every OS (including FreeBSD)  should follow the
> booting protocol that a0 should be used to pass the boot hartid, then
> only Linux EFI stub becomes a special case which can reuse the existing
> DT based EFI protocol (mentioned by Heinrich), right?

Absolutely not. What you are saying is “let’s forbid anyone from using
UEFI”. This “booting protocol” thing is a RISC-V-specific low-level
interface that is incompatible with UEFI; in it, every architecture,
including RISC-V, passes exactly two arguments to the application, the
handle to the image and a pointer to the system table, and puts the
return address in the usual place. Linux’s EFI stub is not special;
*any* EFI application, be it your EFI stub, FreeBSD’s bootloader,
grub-efi, systemd-boot, OpenBSD’s bootloader, Haiku’s bootloader,
whatever, follows the UEFI spec and so does not, and never will, follow
the RISC-V booting protocol.

I wish everyone would stop talking about this “RISC-V booting
protocol”. It’s low-level firmware details that, due to not having a
mature firmware story at the time OSes were brought up, leaked up into
the OS booting process. In FreeBSD the only time it gets used is if the
kernel is booted directly from BBL/OpenSBI; if instead you boot the
bootloader via UEFI then that code is completely bypassed (and we make
the legacy direct boot method look like the bootloader method by
creating a “fake” bootloader metadata array, rather than the other way
round, which would be backwards and severely limiting). It’s not a good
protocol, OSes shouldn’t be using it, and it should fade into obscurity
outside of the M-mode firmware<->S-mode firmware interface. It’s just
not relevant to an OS. What is relevant is that there is critical
information in the firmware that the OS can’t get at if booting via the
industry-standard portable rich firmware interface, and that
information needs to be provided some way or another via a means
compatible with the specification. I like the SBI “get current hartid”
extension approach best, it’s the most flexible and there’s no harm in
having it exist in a crummy non-UEFI situation. It’s trivial to
implement, it’s trivial to use, it provides the interface that *should*
have existed in the ISA just like how mpidr_el1 is a thing on AArch64,
and it provides a way for even non-UEFI code to not have to care about
a0 being hartid (outside of perhaps the hart lottery in the entry point
if you need to support pre-HSM SBIs), it can just throw it away and ask
for it later when it needs it, just like if booting via UEFI. You could
also make it a UEFI protocol, but that’s more annoying to deal with,
you now have two different ways to get the same information depending
on how you were booted. You could also restrict it to only being “get
the boot hartid”, but why, what does that achieve? It doesn’t really
make it any simpler to implement, it’s just more restrictive for the
sake of being minimal, even if it is sufficient. But at the end of the
day all of them do work. So, please, can we stop wasting our lives on
this and just do *something* rather than going round and round in
circles and forgetting all the details in the process?

As for the “provide a dummy FDT to the proposed fixup protocol”
proposal, no, that’s clearly not going to fly with an ACPI-only OS that
doesn’t have, and never will include, a device tree parser. If your
ACPI system needs a device tree then it’s not ACPI-only any more.

Jess