How to supply firmware for PCMCIA cards (e.g. TAMAROCK)?

Christoph Biedl linux-kernel.bfrz at manchmal.in-ulm.de
Thu Sep 17 14:04:40 EDT 2009

Hello,

in a pile of old hardware I found an 10MBit-PCMCIA network combo card
which pccardctl identified as

  product info: "TAMARACK", "Ethernet", "A", "004743118001"
  function: 6 (network)

I recalled it had worked in the past but stopped to do so at a certain
point.  Looking closer I found this was obviously due to the
pcmcia-cs/pccardutils migration.  Now the kernel is looking for a
firmware

| kernel: firmware: requesting tamarack.cis

which turned out to be what was known as /etc/pcmcia/cis/tamarack.dat
(as of Debian oldstable)[1] in the pcmcia-cs package, and the card is
fully functional again now for me.

Now I'm a bit confused since tamarack.cis is neither provided by the
kernel nor by pcmciautils.  Did I oversee something, or is this
a topic that requires attention?  I noticed some .cis have been added
to firmware/cis/ in the kernel recently, but not this one.

Regards,

    Christoph

[1] 65 Bytes, md5sum 90e5c6c2d26d81921e0f8d8c38c355f2