Bus renumbering, pci=assign-busses, and warning messages

Andrew Rodland andrew at cleverdomain.org
Sun Oct 18 07:12:05 EDT 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 05:46:26 am you wrote:
> > Maybe this is a "shouldn't happen" and nobody should ever have to use
> > assign- busses anymore, but unless that's the case I'd like to propose
> > something like this:
>
> Can you provide lspci -vvv? Maybe we can fix it after all :)

With pci=assign-busses enabled:

--- begin lspci -vvv ---

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation E7520 Memory Controller Hub (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 016d
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0
        Capabilities: [40] Vendor Specific Information

00:02.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation E7525/E7520/E7320 PCI Express Port A
(rev 09) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 0000f000-00000fff
        Memory behind bridge: fe800000-feafffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000f8000000-00000000f80fffff
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity+ SERR+ NoISA+ VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-
Queue=0/1 Enable-
                Address: fee00000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [64] Express Root Port (Slot-) IRQ 0
                Device: Supported: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
                Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                Device: Errors: Correctable+ Non-Fatal+ Fatal+ Unsupported+
                Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                Device: MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Port 2
                Link: Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
                Link: ASPM Disabled RCB 64 bytes CommClk- ExtSynch-
                Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x8
                Root: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- PME-
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

00:04.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation E7525/E7520 PCI Express Port B (rev 09)
(prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 0000f000-00000fff
        Memory behind bridge: fff00000-000fffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000fff00000-00000000000fffff
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity+ SERR+ NoISA+ VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-
Queue=0/1 Enable-
                Address: fee00000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [64] Express Root Port (Slot-) IRQ 0
                Device: Supported: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
                Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                Device: Errors: Correctable+ Non-Fatal+ Fatal+ Unsupported+
                Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Port 4
                Link: Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
                Link: ASPM Disabled RCB 64 bytes Disabled CommClk- ExtSynch-
                Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x0
                Root: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- PME-
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

00:05.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation E7520 PCI Express Port B1 (rev 09)
(prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=05, subordinate=07, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000efff
        Memory behind bridge: fe300000-fe7fffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000fff00000-00000000000fffff
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort- <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity+ SERR+ NoISA+ VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-
Queue=0/1 Enable-
                Address: fee00000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [64] Express Root Port (Slot-) IRQ 0
                Device: Supported: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
                Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                Device: Errors: Correctable+ Non-Fatal+ Fatal+ Unsupported+
                Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                Device: MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x4, ASPM L0s, Port 5
                Link: Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
                Link: ASPM Disabled RCB 64 bytes CommClk- ExtSynch-
                Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x4
                Root: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- PME-
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation E7520 PCI Express Port C (rev 09) (prog-
if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=08, subordinate=0e, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 00001000-00001fff
        Memory behind bridge: fe100000-fe2fffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000fff00000-00000000000fffff
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR+ <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity+ SERR+ NoISA+ VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-
Queue=0/1 Enable-
                Address: fee00000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [64] Express Root Port (Slot-) IRQ 0
                Device: Supported: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
                Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                Device: Errors: Correctable+ Non-Fatal+ Fatal+ Unsupported+
                Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                Device: MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Port 6
                Link: Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
                Link: ASPM Disabled RCB 64 bytes CommClk- ExtSynch-
                Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x8
                Root: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- PME-
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI
Controller #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 016d
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 4: I/O ports at bce0 [size=32]

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI
Controller #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 016d
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 19
        Region 4: I/O ports at bcc0 [size=32]

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI
Controller #3 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 016d
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 18
        Region 4: I/O ports at bca0 [size=32]

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI
Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 016d
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
        Capabilities: [58] Debug port

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2) (prog-if 00
[Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=0f, subordinate=0f, sec-latency=32
        I/O behind bridge: 0000c000-0000cfff
        Memory behind bridge: fdf00000-fe0fffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f0000000-f7ffffff
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort- <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity+ SERR+ NoISA- VGA+ MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface
Bridge (rev 02)
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE
Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 016d
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 0
        Region 0: I/O ports at 01f0 [size=8]
        Region 1: I/O ports at 03f4 [size=1]
        Region 2: I/O ports at 0170 [size=8]
        Region 3: I/O ports at 0374 [size=1]
        Region 4: I/O ports at fc00 [size=16]
        Region 5: Memory at 80000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]

01:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 80332 [Dobson] I/O processor (A-Segment
Bridge) (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=01, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=64
        I/O behind bridge: 0000f000-00000fff
        Memory behind bridge: fe900000-feafffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000f8000000-00000000f80fffff
        Secondary status: 66MHz+ FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity+ SERR+ NoISA+ VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
        Capabilities: [44] Express PCI/PCI-X Bridge IRQ 0
                Device: Supported: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
                Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
                Device: AtnBtn- AtnInd- PwrInd-
                Device: Errors: Correctable+ Non-Fatal+ Fatal+ Unsupported-
                Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                Device: MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
                Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Port 0
                Link: Latency L0s unlimited, L1 unlimited
                Link: ASPM Disabled CommClk- ExtSynch-
                Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x8
        Capabilities: [5c] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
                Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [6c] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
                Upstream: Capacity=65535 CommitmentLimit=65535
                Downstream: Capacity=65535 CommitmentLimit=65535
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [300] Power Budgeting

01:00.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 80332 [Dobson] I/O processor (B-Segment
Bridge) (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=01, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=64
[...]

02:0e.0 RAID bus controller: Dell PowerEdge Expandable RAID controller 4 (rev
06)
        Subsystem: Dell PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller 4e/Di
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping+ SERR+ FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 64 (32000ns min), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 46
        Region 0: Memory at f80f0000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Region 2: Memory at fe9c0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        Expansion ROM at fea00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
DMMRBC=1024 DMOST=4 DMCRS=16 RSCEM- 266MHz- 533MHz-

05:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6700PXH PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge A (rev
09) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=05, secondary=06, subordinate=06, sec-latency=32
        I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
        Memory behind bridge: fe600000-fe7fffff
[...]

05:00.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6700PXH PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge B (rev
09) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=05, secondary=07, subordinate=07, sec-latency=32
        I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
        Memory behind bridge: fe400000-fe5fffff
[...]

06:07.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82541GI/PI Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 016d
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
DMMRBC=2048 DMOST=1 DMCRS=8 RSCEM- 266MHz- 533MHz-

07:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82541GI/PI Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 016d
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
DMMRBC=2048 DMOST=1 DMCRS=8 RSCEM- 266MHz- 533MHz-

08:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6700PXH PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge A (rev
09) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=08, secondary=09, subordinate=09, sec-latency=64
[...]

08:00.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6700PXH PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge B (rev
09) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=08, secondary=0a, subordinate=0e, sec-latency=32
        I/O behind bridge: 00001000-00001fff
        Memory behind bridge: fe200000-fe2fffff
[...]

0a:02.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c475 (rev 81)
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 168
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 64
        Region 0: Memory at fe200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Bus: primary=0a, secondary=0b, subordinate=0e, sec-latency=176
        Memory window 0: fe220000-fe23f000 (prefetchable)
        Memory window 1: fe240000-fe25f000
        I/O window 0: 00001000-000010ff
        I/O window 1: 00001400-000014ff
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt- PostWrite+
        16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

0f:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY
[Radeon 7000/VE] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 016d
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+ ParErr-
Stepping+ SERR+ FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 32 (2000ns min), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 7
        Region 0: Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Region 1: I/O ports at cc00 [size=256]
        Region 2: Memory at fdff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at fdf00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
--- end lspci -vvv ---

(My apologies; the machine is remote and there's currently *not* a card
installed in the adapter, so the backend bus doesn't show up; it's assigned
#0b.)

Without pci=assign-busses all is the same, except that the bus with the Radeon
(#0f in this listing) gets assigned #0b. The PCMCIA adapter card is still
0a:02.0, and the bus behind it gets assigned #0b-0e with the warning message
"pci_bus 0000:0b: Upper limit for fixing this bridge's parent bridge: #0a".
Cardbus cards do absolutely nothing in that state, which isn't much of a
surprise.

The machine is a Dell PowerEdge 2850; if you need any more info for debugging
I'll do what I can for you, but it is in production so I'd like to keep the
number of reboots limited :)

Thanks very much for your time,

Andrew