pata_pcmcia client driver

Peter Stuge stuge-linux-pcmcia at cdy.org
Fri Mar 27 02:55:03 EDT 2009

kiran vedere wrote:
> Interface to read/write CF Storage cards. I implemented the CF Host
> Controller and I am using the existing pata_pcmcia client driver to
> read/write to a Compact Flash Storage Card.

Nice.

> However when I insert the Card I cannot see any ata block device
> which I can use to mount the card.

Note that you will need SCSI disks enabled in your kernel to get a
device, because all sata_ and pata_ drivers piggyback on the SCSI
layer.

> Below are the messages when I insert the card (I enabled debug
> messages and also added my own).
..
> ata1: PATA max PIO0 cmd 0xc8818030 ctl 0xc8818050 irq 24

The "SCSI" controller is found. That's good.

> probe begin
> port EH scheduled
> ata_scsi_error:ENTER
> ata_port_flush_task:ENTER
> ata_port_flush_task:EXIT
> ata_bmdma_error_handler:ENTER
> ata_bmdma_drive_eh:ENTER
> ata_bmdma_drive_eh:qc=0x0
> ata_eh_link_autopsy:ENTER
> ata_eh_recover:ENTER
> ata1 port frozen
> ENTER
> ata_std_softreset:ENTER
> about to softreset, devmask=0
> ata1: bus reset via SRST

Maybe not so good? The port appears to have frozen and is then reset.

> found ATA device by sig
> found ATA device by sig
> EXIT, classes[0]=9 [1]=9
> ata_std_postreset:ENTER
> EXIT, no device
> ata1 port thawed

Two ATA devices seem to be found, but I don't know what "by sig"
means. I also don't know what classes[] means. In the end, whatever
was found does not qualify as a device anyway.

> I was able to use /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/ to read some CF card
> details such as Manf_ID/Prod ID, etc however there was no
> /sys/bus/scsi entry available.
>
> Do I need anything more to access the CF Storage card or I am
> missing any of the steps in the process? Please clarify.

Again, you need CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD. Perhaps it will be more fruitful
to contact linux-scsi or wherever you can find libata experts.

//Peter