Appadocia, Sovereign Prince of Turkey and the Sausage Is

Fenelus grassier at casserlyuk.com
Mon Aug 24 01:09:34 EDT 2009

Ed by their countenances and expressions, marks of surprise, or
ridicule, or incredulity, or wonder. "I should like to know who else is
going to be married, if I am not?" shrieks out Gruffanuff. "I should
like to know if King Giglio is a gentleman, and if there is such a thing
as justice in Paflagonia? Lord Chancellor! my Lord Archbishop! will your
Lordships sit by and see a poor, fond, confiding, tender creature put
upon? Has not Prince Giglio promised to marry his Barbara? Is not this
Giglio's signature? Does not this paper declare that he is mine, and
only mine?" And she handed to his Grace the Archbishop the document
which the Prince signed that evening when she wore the magic ring, and
Giglio drank so much champagne. And the old Archbishop, taking out his
eyeglasses, read--"This is to give notice, that I, Giglio, only son of
Savio, King of Paflagonia, hereby promise to marry the charming Barbara
Griselda Countess Gruffanuff, and widow of the late Jenkins Gruffanuff,
Esq." "H'm," says the Archbishop, "the document is certainly a--a
document." "Phoo!" says the Lord Chancellor, "the signature is not in
his Majesty's handwriting." Indeed, since his studies at Bosforo, Giglio
had made an immense improvement in caligraphy. "Is it your handwriting,
Giglio?" cries the Fairy Blackstick, with an awful severity of
countenance. "Y--y--y--es," poor Giglio gasps out, "I had quite
forgotten the confounded paper: she can't mean to hold me by it. You old
wretch, what will you take to let me off? Help the Queen, some one--her
Majesty has fainted." "Chop her head off!" } exclaim the impetuous
Hedzoff, "Smother the old witch!" } the ardent Smith, and the "Pitch her
into the river!"} faithful Jones. But Gruffanuff flung her arms round
the Archbishop's neck, and bellowed out, "Justice, justice, my Lord
Chancellor!" so loudly, that her piercing shrieks caused everybody to
pause. As for Rosalba, she was borne away lifeless by her ladies; and
you may imagine the look of agony which Giglio cast towards that lovely
being, as his hope, his joy, his darling, h