Dell Inspiron 5150 PCMCIA troubles

Alex Buell alex.buell at munted.org.uk
Wed Sep 3 04:13:01 EDT 2008

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:31:59 +0200, I waved a wand and this message
magically appears in front of Peter Stuge:

> Alex Buell wrote:
> > I'd like to report a problem with my Dell Inspirion 5150. Inserting
> > a PCMCIA cardbus card causes a freeze, everything just locks up
> > solidly.
>
> Unfortunately this problem description does not have very much
> helpful information with regard to finding the problem. :\

I realise that now, thanks for the advice.

> Please try several different cardbus cards.

The same thing happens with all of them, I have here, a Linksys
wireless card, a USB 2.0 (NEC chipset) card, Belkin 10/100 mbps network
card. All these cards works perfectly in my other laptop when last
tested with it.

> Please try setting up a serial console in the hope that you can get
> some useful error messages from the kernel on card insertion.

I will do that when I come home tonight from work, and send you the
results. I am happy to do the work myself to find out what the problem
is, I just needed pointing in the right direction.

> > Gentoo Linux on this laptop, release 2.6.25-gentoo-r7.
>
> Please also try syncing portage and emerging the latest sources.
> Please try both gentoo-sources and vanilla-sources.

I do this every day but I have not tried vanilla-sources, will do that
as well.

Thanks,
Alex
--