Configuration problem with ide-cs

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Thu Jul 10 17:20:30 EDT 2008

Dominik,

On my test machine, the device works perfectly if I load the ide-cs module
before plugging in the device. If I boot with the card plugged in then the
machine hangs with the disk starting and stopping at roughly 1-2 second
intervals. The system recovers if the card is unplugged, but it gets a couple of
errors. The exact sequence of messages is

pccard: card ejected from slot 0
hda: status timeout: status=0xff { Busy }
hda: drive not ready for command
Trying to free nonexistent resource (000010e-000010e)  - I skipped some zeros
Trying to free nonexistent resource (0000100-0000107)

Those resources are the ones used by the card.

Any suggestions on places to look? I'm not sure bisection is the way to go. At
least I have a work-around. If I add a 'modprobe ide_cs' rule to
60-pcmcia.rules, then my test system works. Now to try it on the real system.

Larry