Configuration problem with ide-cs

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Thu Jul 10 15:50:00 EDT 2008

Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 03:59:04PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
>> Thanks, Dominik. That took care of my "unable to map high memory" problem;
>> however, there is still something wrong with the kernel. I'm in the process of
>> bisecting that now. I'm down to ~6000 changes. Too bad that machine is slow. It
>> takes about 24 hours per bisection. Only 12-13 to go. The good part is that I
>> only use that machine for testing.
>
> Is that error also in the PCMCIA part of the kernel?

I don't know yet. I found that the problem is a little flakey. Even though I
followed a consistent set of steps when testing, sometines it would work
perfectly, other times the same kernel would fail. This was always from a cold
start with the card plugged in before turning the machine on.

>> I also have to determine the best place to put the pcmcia-socket-startup call in
>> the boot process.
>
> Usually, that is done by the udev scripts upon modprobe'ing of the "pcmcia"
> module [or during 'udevadm trigger']

Thanks. I'll look at the udev rules.

Larry