Yenta Socket work with 32-bit card but not 16-bit

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Thu Feb 15 13:29:07 EST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 12:18:20PM -0600, David Clark wrote:
> I may be way off track here and pleasae tell me if so.  From looking at
> the source code in "rsrc_nonstatic.c" I gather that the first time the
> socket comes up, the kernel probes (do_mem_probe()) the PCI memory space
> to find a suitable memory region which can be allocated to the PCMCIA
> cards.

Right. Such mem resources are needed to access the card "CIS", too, which in
turn is required to correctly determine which card this is.

> In my case 0x80000000-0xfcffffff is the entire memory range available to
> the host PCI bridge.  Not all of this memory range is allocated to the
> various PCI devices, so why then does the memory probe not find any
> available resources?

Good question -- to which I don't really have an answer, unfortunately.
Could you try out what happens if you disable "CONFIG_ISA" in your kernel
config (which in turn should switch of CONFIG_PCMCIA_PROBE)?

> Is this potentially related to my problem?  Again I'm trying my best to
> understand how this all works.

Most likely this is the root of the problem.