3c574 NIC support with recent 2.6 kernels.

Larry Finger larry.finger at lwfinger.net
Sun Feb 4 16:20:33 EST 2007

cga2000 wrote:
> I have an old laptop with a 3Com nic/modem combo PC card that works
> fine with 2.4 kernels.
>
> $ cardctl ident
>
> Socket 0:
>   product info: "3Com", "Megahertz 3CCFEM556", "LAN + 56k Modem", ""
>   manfid: 0x0101, 0x0556
>   function: 0 (multifunction)
>
> Recent distros that I have tried to install and a few live CD's are
> unable to detect the presence of an ethernet card on this laptop
> even after I load the 3c564_cs module manually.
>
> Since I have tried at least a dozen of the above and keep running into
> the same problem, my guess is that support for this model has been
> dropped from pcmcia with recent 2.6 kernels.
>
> Is anyone aware of a workaround for this problem -- even if it means
> buying a different pc card -- or does this mean that I need to purchase
> a new laptop with a regular PCI NIC..?

I cannot help you with your current 3Com card; however, I do have a solution that is a lot cheaper
than a new laptop. Roughly one year ago, I needed to upgrade a 10 Mbs PCMCIA card to 100 Mbs. After
some research on suitable cards with Linux drivers, I settled on the Uniden PCN300 card, which sells
for $20 - 25. It uses the in-kernel 8139too driver and has worked just fine for me.

Larry