Looking for a driver for Compact Flash access

Peter Stuge stuge-linux-pcmcia at cdy.org
Tue Apr 17 22:01:22 EDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 08:38:51AM +0200, Michael wrote:
> Is connecting a CF directly to the local bus an unusual practice?

At least if it's operating as an PCMCIA or IDE device, but probably
otherwise too. If you have a local bus just tack on the flash
directly. Also I just read that memory mode only gives you 2kb of
data since it has 11 address lines.

> Would it be significantly easier to connect the CF in IO mode, or
> in true IDE mode?

Connections don't matter, but memory mode is definately the easiest
to program.

> Also, using memory mode, what drivers should I consider for using
> with minimal adaptation - is it just ide-ata?

Check out linux-mtd, but maybe the 2kb isn't worth the effort..

If you're designing a new board just stuff a 2Gbit flash chip on that
local bus and be done with it. :)

Seriously, it's difficult to impossible to give good advice without
understanding even more about what you want to do, how the system
will be used and so on, but this is probably not the best forum for
that discussion.

//Peter