Option error

Dariusz Dwornikowski tdi at kill-9.pl
Mon Oct 9 03:19:29 EDT 2006

> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 09:51:50PM +0200, Dariusz Dwornikowski wrote:
>> > Software has to deal with the problem (checking which of several
>> > IO devices actually yanked the IRQ line) but not all of the Linux
>> > PCMCIA card drivers in 2.6 do this yet.
>>
>> yes, i am using yenta driver.
>
> yenta is the socket driver. That's not the problem. The warning comes
> from the serial_cs driver, which is the card driver for serial port
> cards. (Which is what the option cards look like.)

i found that old serial_cs module had irq_list parameter. the new one does
not have this parameter, maybe this could be a good dirty workaround. Iv
got some IRQs free and could dedicate them for my pcmcia card.

>> is there a even dirty workaround for this problem ? maybe is there a
>> way to check which interrupts cause the collision ?
>
> Well, if you can disable all other sources of interrupts on irq 11
> the card will work fine. Most laptop designs just connect all devices
> to the same interrupt however. :\
>
> You can check how interrupts are connected in your system. This is
> what mine looks like:
>
> --8<--
> $ cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:   69131347          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:     144940          XT-PIC  i8042
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   3:          2          XT-PIC  Intel ICH6 Modem
>   5:    4137359          XT-PIC  yenta, ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2,
> uhci_hcd:usb5, radeon at pci:0000:01:00.0
>   7:     836937          XT-PIC  Intel ICH6
>   8:      62683          XT-PIC  rtc
>   9:   20771246          XT-PIC  acpi
>  10:       8236          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb3
>  11:    4333622          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb4
>  12:    1059462          XT-PIC  i8042
>  14:      91751          XT-PIC  libata
>  15:        126          XT-PIC  libata
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          0
> -->8--
>
> As you can see I have cardbus, USB and graphics sharing irq 5.
>
> In order to change what goes where you'll have to fiddle with
> interrupt settings in your BIOS, but it's not really possible to
> change the fact that yenta and radeon are wired together in my case.

ive got IBM t43, and cannot change pcmcia's IRQ.
>> i could then not use this hardware during using option
>> card. It is crucial to make it work for me as I administrate
>> high-availibility servers.
>
> Just a quick reminder; Linux comes with no warranty. But please do
> feel free to help fix the problem. I know I would appreciate it. :)

yes i know, I am drilling and searching to find a way to make it use
shared irq, or force it to use irq i want :)