Option error

Peter Stuge stuge-linux-pcmcia at cdy.org
Sun Oct 8 18:35:08 EDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 09:51:50PM +0200, Dariusz Dwornikowski wrote:
> > Software has to deal with the problem (checking which of several
> > IO devices actually yanked the IRQ line) but not all of the Linux
> > PCMCIA card drivers in 2.6 do this yet.
>
> yes, i am using yenta driver.

yenta is the socket driver. That's not the problem. The warning comes
from the serial_cs driver, which is the card driver for serial port
cards. (Which is what the option cards look like.)

> is there a even dirty workaround for this problem ? maybe is there a
> way to check which interrupts cause the collision ?

Well, if you can disable all other sources of interrupts on irq 11
the card will work fine. Most laptop designs just connect all devices
to the same interrupt however. :\

You can check how interrupts are connected in your system. This is
what mine looks like:

--8<--
$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   69131347          XT-PIC  timer
  1:     144940          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:          2          XT-PIC  Intel ICH6 Modem
  5:    4137359          XT-PIC  yenta, ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2,
uhci_hcd:usb5, radeon at pci:0000:01:00.0
  7:     836937          XT-PIC  Intel ICH6
  8:      62683          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:   20771246          XT-PIC  acpi
 10:       8236          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb3
 11:    4333622          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb4
 12:    1059462          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:      91751          XT-PIC  libata
 15:        126          XT-PIC  libata
NMI:          0
ERR:          0
-->8--

As you can see I have cardbus, USB and graphics sharing irq 5.

In order to change what goes where you'll have to fiddle with
interrupt settings in your BIOS, but it's not really possible to
change the fact that yenta and radeon are wired together in my case.

> i could then not use this hardware during using option
> card. It is crucial to make it work for me as I administrate
> high-availibility servers.

Just a quick reminder; Linux comes with no warranty. But please do
feel free to help fix the problem. I know I would appreciate it. :)

//Peter