PCMCIA and New External HD

Paulo J. Matos pocm at soton.ac.uk
Thu Nov 16 11:08:49 EST 2006

On 11/16/06, Matthias Wenzel <linux-pcmcia at mazzoo.de> wrote:
> Paulo J. Matos wrote:
>
> > Any ideas of what can I do? Or what the problem might be?
>
> Sounds more like a USB power-supply problem.
> Do USB2.0 Memory Sticks work on that card? If yes it's another hint that
> the HDD draws too much power from the PCMCIA/USB2 card.

Yes! Hummm, you're probably right.
Let me see if I got it right. You then mean that USB2 standard max
voltage is higher than the PCMCIA can provide?

> Nitpicking: Note that both USB2 and PCMCIA are specified with a max of
> 500mA @5V, so a PCMCIA/USB2 card cannot exist by specification.

>From what you write it seems they both specify 500mA at 5V, so if the
specs are the same, why can't a PCMCIA/USB2 exist?

I would be grateful is you do clear me up these details so I can think
about what to do next.

Regards,

Paulo Matos