compact flash stops working 2.6.3/8 -> 2.6.15.4

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Sun Mar 26 02:49:17 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:18:21PM +0100, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> "Also sprach ptb:"
> > After shifting to kernel 2.6.15.4, my SD and compact flash cards are no
> > longer detected on my IBM TP X24. Switch back to an earlier kernel and
> > all works fine!
>
> Solved.
>
> The debian init.d script starts cardmgr unless the kernel release is
> one of an excepted few. The few runs to 2.6.12 and not beyond. I am
> running 2.6.15.4.

This is exactly the intended behaviour -- cardmgr shouldn't be needed on
these "newer" kernels, as long as pcmciautils is up and running fine (which
I suspect in your case). With the original init.d/pcmcia init script, what
happens if you issue "pcmcia-startup-socket"? Can you post a complete dmesg
of such a test-run, please?

Thanks,