FC5 not properly configuring modem ofmultifunctionmodem/ethernet card

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Wed Jul 12 07:45:08 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 08:28 +0200, Romano Giannetti wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 12:38 -0500, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
>
> > At the suggestion of Jar, I tried copying the file to /lib/firmware.
> > It didn't work.  It looks like the file is not correct for the card I
> > have.  My card is a 3Com Corporation 3C562D/3C563D EtherLink III
> > LAN+Modem PC Card.  The information in the cis file that is related to
> > the dat is different than for my card.  Although they are both 3Com
> > multifunction LAN/modem cards, mine is an older model with different
> > product naming.
> >
> > What card do you have?
>
> I have  a 3com/megahertz :
> Socket 1:
>   product info: "3Com", "Megahertz 3CXEM556 B", "LAN + 56k Modem", ""
>   manfid: 0x0101, 0x0035

Romano -

That looks like the product info for one of the 3Com cards that has a
file in the cis database to go into either /lib/firmware
or /etc/firmware.  I would try copying the file and changing the name.
The only issue is whether Ubuntu is using /lib or /etc as the place to
put the firmware "cis override" (as the howto calls it) directory.  I
found an empty directory in FC5 in /lib.  Take a look and see if Ubuntu
also creates an empty directory in either place.

Stan Klein