FC5 not properly configuring modem of multifunction modem/ethernet card

Jar jar at pcuf.fi
Tue Jul 11 14:14:50 EDT 2006

Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> Quoting Jar <jar at pcuf.fi>:
>

>>> I renamed it and it still didn't work.  The data in the text version
>>> of the cis file is incorrect for the card.  How do I build a correct
>>> cis file for the card I have?  It isn't the card for which the file is
>>> provided.
>>
>> Which driver do you use for that card ? 3c589_cs.ko ?
>>

> There are two drivers and they are both being properly identified.  They
> also show up when I do lsmod.  The ethernet function of the card uses
> 3c589_cs.ko and the modem function of the card uses serial_cs.ko.

According to 3c589_cs.c

PCMCIA_MFC_DEVICE_CIS_MANF_CARD(0, 0x0101, 0x0035, "3CXEM556.cis"),
PCMCIA_MFC_DEVICE_CIS_MANF_CARD(0, 0x0101, 0x003d, "3CXEM556.cis"),

the cis files are only needed for '0x0101, 0x0035' and '0x0101, 0x003d'
when yours is '0x0101, 0x0562' then it _not_ need any substitutive cis.

So both functions are recognised and correct drivers are loaded. Seems
not be pcmcia problem then?

> The problem shows up as the modem function being bound to eth1 instead
> of a serial device such as ppp something or /dev/modem.  When I try to
> configure the modem for dialup, the system reports it doesn't have a
> modem to configure.

I think you should remove any quotations to 3c589_cs.ko or to
serial_cs.ko (pppd should bring up ppp0) from modprobe.conf.

Should the serial/modem device be initially /dev/ttyS0 or similar? So no
new /dev/ttyS? device appears when the card is plugged in? I guess the
/dev/modem is usually only symbolic link to /dev/ttyS?. It's should be
udev's job to bring up a new device node.

--
Best Regards, Jar