FC5 not properly configuring modem of multifunction modem/ethernet card

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Tue Jul 11 08:30:44 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 04:55 -0400, jar wrote:
> Stanley A. Klein wrote:
>
> Sorry my first post, I pressed the button too early.
> > The system is correctly identifying the driver for the modem side of he
> > card.  I may have helped get to this point by adding
> >
> > card "3Com 3c562/3c563 Ethernet/Modem"
> >    manfid 0x0101, 0x0562
> >    bind "3c589_cs" to 0, "serial_cs" to 1
> >
> > to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts as indicated in the material at
> > pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net.
> >

> There is no such file '/etc/pcmcia/config.opts' in FC5. FC5 uses the new
> pcmcia system and tools (pcmciautils-011-1.2). Are you trying to install
> the old system (pcmcia-cs) in addition to the new system? Rather than
> look help from pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net you should look at
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/howto.html and
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/pcmcia.html. Check
> via 'rpm -q pcmciautils' is your new tools already installed.
>
> BR. Jar

The file is definitely there and it was put there by FC5.

Here is the result of "rpm -qil pcmciautils"  on my desktop.

Name        : pcmciautils                  Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 011                               Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1.2                           Build Date: Sun 12 Feb 2006
03:23:31 AM EST
Install Date: Sun 07 May 2006 03:02:17 PM EDT      Build Host:
ls20-bc1-13.build.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
pcmciautils-011-1.2.src.rpm
Size        : 70671                            License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 06 Mar 2006 06:47:54 PM EST, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2Packager    : Red Hat, Inc.
<http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : PCMCIA utilities and initialization programs
Description :
The pcmciautils package contains utilities for initializing and
debugging PCMCIA and Cardbus sockets.
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-pcmcia.rules
/sbin/pccardctl
/sbin/pcmcia-check-broken-cis
/sbin/pcmcia-socket-startup
/usr/share/man/man8/pccardctl.8.gz

You will notice that the first file on the list
is /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.  My laptop has version 012, but the files
listed by the query are the same.

Stan Klein