PCMCIA not working in Linux 2.4.31

Ashutosh Datta ashutoshdatta at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 00:17:47 EST 2006

Hi

I am attempting to make a NetGear WG511 PCMCIA WLAN card work on linux
kernel verison 2.4.31 but am facing issues

Here is what I have attempted to do to get the card working followed
bye the log and result that I am experiencing. It would be really
helpful if some one could give some inputs on this.
thanks

ashutosh

Things Done:
1) I have the cardmgr running
2) pcmcia_core and yenta sockets modules are running
3) kernel is compiled with support for PCMCIA
4) tried unsuccessfully to load a separately downloaded and compile
Prism54 driver module and placed in
/lib/modules/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/prism
5) Hot Plug support is enabled
6) tried installing the Card Services 3.1.34 package separately but to
no success

Observations:
1) On card insertion I get a low beep (which indicates that either
card detection or configuration has failed)
and I get the following message
"PCI: device 07:00.0 has unknown header type 7f , vendor 0xffff, device 0xffff
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin ? of device 07:00.0. Please try
using pci=biosirq "

2) The same message displays at boot time during the Card Services
init sequence with this info
Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 06:09.0. Please try
using pci=biosirq.
Yenta ISA IRQ mask 0x0070, PCI irq 0
Socket status: 30000020
cs: cb_alloc(bus 7): vendor 0xffff, device 0xffff
PCI: device 07:00.0 has unknown header type 7f, ignoring.
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin ? of device 07: 00.0. Please try
using pci=biosirq.
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
lp: driver loaded but no devices found
cs: cb_free(bus 7)
cs: cb_alloc(bus 7): vendor 0xffff, device 0xffff
PCI: device 07:00.0 has unknown header type 7f, ignoring.
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin ? of device 07:00.0. Please try
using pci=biosirq.
cs: cb_free(bus 7)
cs: cb_alloc(bus 7): vendor 0xffff, device 0xffff
PCI: device 07:00.0 has unknown header type 7f, ignoring.
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin ? of device 07:00.0. Please try
using pci=biosirq.

3) i dont see any interrupts assigned to PCMCIA in /proc/interrupts

4) I dont have my driver module prism54.o listed in the
/etc/pcmcia/config file which the cardmgr reads
(dont know how I can get that entry in the file)

5) if i see the card config using lspci -xxx it shows all FFFFs and is
not able to identify the device and take further action

6) dont know how to associate my prism54.o driver to the card services
so that it gets loaded automatically

7) I dont see any driver entry in /var/lib/pcmcia/stab file as
expected which shows only this message
Socket 0: CardBus hotplug device

if anyone of you have come across such an issue or can see the problem
kindly reply back

thanks

ashutosh