Cardbus Failure "cs: warning: no high memory space available!"

Peter Stuge stuge-linux-pcmcia at cdy.org
Tue Dec 5 13:50:14 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 04:35:00PM -0000, Mark Fortescue wrote:
> I am using a generic Linux-2.6.16.29 kernel

Ouch, that's a bit old.

> 1) What (if any) patches need to be applied to the kernel and where
> can I get them.

I would suggest a fresh 2.6.19 kernel from ftp.<country>.kernel.org.

> 2) What (if any) special configuration options do I need to set
> (build time and/or kernel command line). My current kernel is
> mostly not modular.

Mine too. You'll need Yenta and either PCMCIA IDE or PCMCIA PATA
support, or possibly both of the latter. I've started to use the
experimental PCMCIA PATA code with success.

> 3) What additional pieces of software do I need (including version
> numbers and patches as there appears to be a great deal of
> incompatibility between different versions of tools like UDEV).

Updating from udev-084/087 to udev-104 made hotplugging work on a
system I worked on yesterday. With the older udev I had to run
pcmcia-socket-startup manually to get the socket going.

Generally, try the latest version of both kernel and udev and see if
it works better. There have been a lot of changes lately, all for the
better. :)

//Peter