Oops: machine check, sig: 7 [#1] - 16-bit Pccard - SOLVED!!!

Daniel Ritz daniel.ritz-ml at swissonline.ch
Sun Apr 9 16:57:50 EDT 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 08.25, Edward Felberbaum wrote:
> >From: Daniel Ritz <daniel.ritz-ml at swissonline.ch>
> >To: Edward Felberbaum <efelberbaum at hotmail.com>
> >CC: "linux-pcmcia" <linux-pcmcia at lists.infradead.org>
> >Subject: Re: Oops: machine check, sig: 7 [#1] - 16-bit Pccard - CardBus OK
> >Edward Felberbaum
> >Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:11:50 +0200

> >errm...that should have been:
> >	reserve=0xfd000000,0xffffff
> >ie. reserve=start,size
> >

> > > I added the above reserve to the boot parameters, it shows up on the
> >Kernel
> > > command line in dmesg,  but dmesg still displays
> > >
> > > pcmcia: parent PCI bridge Memory window: 0xfd000000 - 0xfdffffff
> > >
> > > I would have expected the above line to not appear - use a different
> >memory
> > > range due to the kernel command line "reserve".
> >
> >it will...:)
> >
> >rgds
> >-daniel
>
> I followed your advice and inserted a 3Com 589 card and there was NO Oops!
> WOW!
>
> I built the 3c589 driver and the card works too.
>
> Now I'm trying to get my Belkin F5D6020 v2 Wifi card to work.
>
> Thanks very much for your help!
>
> I see from the dmesg output from my original post that memory ranges
> 0xfdd7f000 and 0xfddff000 are used by the Gatwick and Heathrow mac io
> controllers.  That explains the conflict with PCMCIA over 0xfd000000.

interesting...the memory ranges are used by other devices yet the
request_resource() call in PCMCIA succeeds,,,and PCI resources shoudn't
be there in the first place then...

ok, it's in file arch/powerpc/platforms/powermac/feature.c...
i can't see any request_resource() calls in there...so CC'ing the PPC guys..
they can sure comment...

> Question, can I minimize the range of memory that is reserved 0xffffff - or
> is it a waste of time?

yeah, you probably could, but it sounds like a waste of time...

> Eddie

rgds
-daniel