Oops: machine check, sig: 7 [#1] - 16-bit Pccard - SOLVED!!!

Edward Felberbaum efelberbaum at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 7 02:25:07 EDT 2006

>From: Daniel Ritz <daniel.ritz-ml at swissonline.ch>
>To: Edward Felberbaum <efelberbaum at hotmail.com>
>CC: "linux-pcmcia" <linux-pcmcia at lists.infradead.org>
>Subject: Re: Oops: machine check, sig: 7 [#1] - 16-bit Pccard - CardBus OK
>Edward Felberbaum
>Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:11:50 +0200
>
> > >Can you try booting with the boot parameter
> > >
> > >reserve=0xfd000000-0xfdffffff
> > >
> > >?
>
>errm...that should have been:
>	reserve=0xfd000000,0xffffff
>ie. reserve=start,size
>

> > I added the above reserve to the boot parameters, it shows up on the
>Kernel
> > command line in dmesg,  but dmesg still displays
> >
> > pcmcia: parent PCI bridge Memory window: 0xfd000000 - 0xfdffffff
> >
> > I would have expected the above line to not appear - use a different
>memory
> > range due to the kernel command line "reserve".
>
>it will...:)
>
>rgds
>-daniel

I followed your advice and inserted a 3Com 589 card and there was NO Oops!
WOW!

I built the 3c589 driver and the card works too.

Now I'm trying to get my Belkin F5D6020 v2 Wifi card to work.

Thanks very much for your help!

I see from the dmesg output from my original post that memory ranges
0xfdd7f000 and 0xfddff000 are used by the Gatwick and Heathrow mac io
controllers.  That explains the conflict with PCMCIA over 0xfd000000.

Question, can I minimize the range of memory that is reserved 0xffffff - or
is it a waste of time?

Eddie